3D Digital Thinking
Assignment 01: Rhino Tiling Design
Assignment 02: Grasshopper Tiling Design
Assignment 03: Print It
Assignment 04: Recursion
Assignment 05: Wiki + CNC Drawing
Assignment 06: Surface Components
1) Example I made for Lily recursively moving and curve
- vapax\3D Digital Thinking Fall 11\Lessons - 00_Recursion for Lily
2) Example of creating a variable curved grid, but this time we shatter the input curves and re-order them into groups of 4 - like vertexes.
Now you can use the input curves as the sides of your tile instead of just straight lines connecting corners. This can helpful to maintain
order and or use the curve tangency info etc. In addition to the shattered curves this example, employs bi-tangent arcs in the creation of the blended
grid (instead of straight lines) - this helps in creating a grid with extremely curved input curves. A limitation of the original example.
- vapax\3D Digital Thinking Fall 11\Lessons - 00_Grid with shattered curves
3) Using The Relative Item component to order our grid points into groups of four, and then using the same technique to reference sides of different cells to create lines between cells, not just within each cell.
- vapax\3D Digital Thinking Fall 11\Lessons\00_Grid with Relative Items
4) Contours and Region Boolean Operations. How to use region (closed planar curves) Boolean operations to simply create surfaces between overlapping curves, and then contour those planar surfaces to create hatching lines or fill effects. These techniques might be useful for creating drawings.
- vapax\3D Digital Thinking Fall 11\Lessons\00_contours and region booleans
Links and Resources
- Grasshopper Forum Your first stop for answers.
- The GH forum is a NING Network and it’s search function works really poorly.
- To find information that may have already been discussed, try a site specific Google search.
- For example: flow along surface site:grasshopper3d.com
- Grasshopper Primer! The principle manual for using Grasshopper. Download NOW, read immediately, and don't forget the source files
- Studio Mode Studio Mode's primers. Great Short lessons on essential Grasshopper learning. I highly recommend their workshops hosted regularly in Brooklyn.
- Design Reform Short videos covering basic and intermediate Grasshopper topics.
- Digital Toolbox Great videos covering both Rhino and Grasshopper techniques. A great resource.
- vapax server \3D Digital Thinking Fall 11\Reference. Two Rhino modeling manuals pdf format
- Rhino 3D TV No 3D glasses needed. Videos on a variety of topics from Rendering to Ring design and some Grasshopper sprinkled in there.
- Rhino GlossaryGlossary for reference of CAD terminology
- Rhino Python Wiki The place to go to start scripting Rhino with Python.
General Geometrical Interest
- Pleat Farm Great site about applied 3D geometry in design.
- DUE: Recursion Experiment
- LESSON: CNC Basics and Writing ToolPaths, Lecture on Dimensional Form and Material
- DUE: Drawing Tests using CNC, ALL assignments due on Wiki pages.
- LESSON: No Class - Long Weekend. STAY AND WORK.
- DUE: Drawings Due, Presented on Brick Patio large Wall.
- LESSON: Crits.
- DUE: Comparison of one analog crafted object and one digitally crafted object you feel has reached its full design potential.
- LESSON: Final Project Introduction/ Objectified _+ Made-Of lecture
- DUE: Presentation of Proposed Final Project.
- LESSON: 3D Lesson
- DUE: TBA
- LESSON: CNC Cutting Lesson
- DUE: TBA
- LESSON: 3D Lesson
- DUE: Final Wiki Updates
- LESSON: Work Session
- DUE: 3D Final Projects
- LESSON: Crits